About Me

My photo
Webletes is your source for High School / Junior College recruiting. Looking to play at the next level? Create your profile on Webletes now!

Monday, August 20, 2012

An Intern for Webletes: My Experience



Around March of this year, I found myself in a position the majority of college students find themselves in: eager to gain experience, yet entirely unaware of precisely what I wanted to gain experience in. Intimidated by the job market and internship search, I set out to find an internship that could offer me a wide variety of learning experiences since I was so undecided about my future. Luckily for me, I found Webletes, an online recruiting website that specialized in combine camps for athletes. As a start-up company offering a virtual internship, I thought it would be a flexible, yet hands-on choice. I was right.
Immediately, owners Tim and Pat Curran welcomed me on their staff. Over the course of five months, I helped with a number of things. My main job was managing the Webletes social media pages; I visited the Facebook and Twitter sites daily. I quickly learned about the marketing world as I created Facebook groups, updated daily status, tweeted about Webletes, and posted articles I had found on the ins and outs of the recruiting process. Pat also trained me to make phone calls to athletes, inquiring about their progress in the recruiting process and extending invitations to their combine camps for football, soccer, basketball, and track. The experience I gained making over 400 phone calls was priceless—a much-needed lesson in marketing and sales. Additionally, Tim gave me the responsibility of creating Excel files of the camp results and editing them to create specialized documents for advertisers and college coaches.
I got the chance to meet with Tim multiple times over the summer to talk about the future of Webletes and the decisions that the company made financially and competitively. Because I worked with a smaller company, I was privy to the decisions they made first-hand and able to offer suggestions that they took into consideration and sometimes implemented. I’m infinitely glad that I got to work with Webletes this summer because instead of filing papers away as an assistant intern in a big company, I got to be part of the process and decision making team.

Emily
Duke Class of 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment